I posted a picture of my homemade pop tarts I made this morning on my instagram stories and had so many people requesting the recipe. So here it is folks. Homemade Pop tarts. They are easy, delicious and better than the real deal store bought ones.
I ate two pop tarts a day for nine months when I was pregnant with my youngest boy. I was so sick of them, but craved them every day. I never thought I would look at another pop tart again, let alone eat one. But I decided to give them a shot. Safe to say – I still love them and will be making them again.
I used a refrigerated pie crust that I bought at the store, because well – time. But if you are feeling extra ambitious, you can certainly make your own crust. You can use whatever jam you want, but I’m biased to strawberry and raspberry jam and that’s what I had at home!
- 1 package of 2 refrigerated pie crust (or you can make homemade crust if you are THAT ambitious and have the time)
- 3/4 cup jam (strawberry, raspberry or blueberry are all delicious)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pie crusts onto a lightly floured surface. Slightly roll the pie crusts with a rolling pin and square off the edges.
- Cut 8 equal sized squares out of each pie crust. Mine were roughly 4×6.
- Use a fork to puncture holes in the centre of 8 of the squares. These will be the tops.
- Heat the jam in a small sauce pan over medium heat. While the jam is slowly heating up, combine the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the cornstarch to the jam and stir until combined.
- Continue mixing so the mixture doesn’t burn. Once the jam starts bubbling, remove it from the heat.
- Spoon a small amount of jam on to the centre of the 8 squares and spread it out leaving a 1/4 inch boarder around the edge.
- Take the other 8 squares that you punctured and place them on top.
- Use a fork to crimp the sides together, creating a seal.
- Place the pop tarts on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow the pop tarts to cool completely. While they are cooling, make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix together until a glaze forms. Spoon/drizzle the glaze over the pop tarts and garnish with sprinkles.
If you end up making these, I can’t wait to see how yours turn out. I promise you will enjoy them!