This is my absolute favourite Christmas treat that I started making a few years ago after a co-worker brought a bag of her homemade Almond Roca to work. I think I ate the entire bag myself. She gave me the recipe but I could never perfect it. I tried for a few years and wasted several pounds of butter in my attempt. So I went in search of my own recipe. I found a similar recipe to this on Suburban Simplicity. This one has been fool proof for me so far, but make sure you have no distractions around you when making it (example; kids or husbands). The temperature of the candy has to be precise or it will not set up as desired. I didn’t know I was an Almond Roca lover until a few years ago – now I’m hooked and its a Christmas staple in our house!
Almond Roca makes the perfect gift to take to a party, gift to a host or give to your friends. Just add it into a treat bag and tie with your favourite ribbon. And you’re done. Such an easy + simple gift and people LOVE getting homemade treats during the holidays. This recipe makes approximately 2lbs of candy so there is plenty to go around, unless you’re like me and can eat it all in one setting!
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup salted sliced almonds, smashed + 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place almonds in a plastic bag and smash them with a mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine butter and sugar in large saucepan over high heat.
- Stir butter and sugar until they reach a boil. Attach candy thermometer to side of pan and watch closely.
- Continue stirring until temperature reaches 310 degrees F, then immediately remove from heat. This takes about 15-20 minutes. It will turn a dark amber colour once it is ready. If you remove it too soon, it will not set up properly. If you cook it too long, the mixture will be too hard to eat!
- Mix 1 cup smashed almonds into saucepan until combined.
- Pour onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Let cool for 3-5 minutes. This mixture will be very hot. Be careful!
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over top. Let rest until chocolate chips are melted enough to spread over top of the almond roca.
- Sprinkle with 1/8 cup smashed almonds.
- Once chocolate has cooled and hardened, break apart with a tip of a knife to desired size.
I like to place my Almond Roca in the fridge to speed up the cooling process. Because I have absolutely ZERO patience and can’t wait to eat it once it’s made.
The best part about this recipe as well? It’s far to hard for my kids to eat and we don’t have to share it 😉
I hope you enjoy this treat as much as we do!